Tuesday, April 28, 2015

republican presidential hopefuls views on gay marriage

Senator Ted Cruz

“If one of my daughters was gay, I would love them just as much,” Mr. Cruz said at a dinner in New York last week, explaining that same-sex marriage should be left to the states.

“The people should decide the issue of marriage, not the courts. The union of a man and a woman has been the building block of society since the dawn of history, and the people in numerous states have repeatedly affirmed that truth in their laws. Nothing in the Constitution prohibits that. In fact, it is inconceivable that when the 14th Amendment was ratified, Americans would have understood they were sowing the seeds for courts to invalidate traditional marriage,” Mr. Cruz said in a statement after the report about his daughters.

Senator Marco Rubio

“It doesn’t exist. There is no federal constitutional right to same sex-marriage. There isn’t such a right. You would have to really have a ridiculous and absurd reading of the U.S. Constitution to reach the conclusion that people have a right to marry someone of the same sex. There is no such constitutional right,” Mr. Rubio told the Christian Broadcasting Network last weekend.

Former Gov. Jeb Bush

“It ought be a local decision. I mean, a state decision. The state decided. The people of the state decided. But it’s been overturned by the courts, I guess,” Mr. Bush told The Miami Herald in January.

“I believe in traditional marriage,” Mr. Bush said at CPAC in February.

Gov. Scott Walker

“Tonette and I and our family already had a family member who’s had a reception. I haven’t been to a wedding. That’s true even though my position on marriage is still that’s defined between a man and a woman, and I support the Constitution of the state. But for someone I love, we’ve been at a reception,” Mr. Walker said this month in New Hampshire.

Senator Rand Paul:

“States will end up making the decision on these things. I think that there is a religious connotation to marriage. I believe in the traditional religious connotation of this, but I also believe people should be treated fairly under the law. I see no reason why if the marriage contract conveys certain things, if you want to marry another woman, you can do that and have a contract, but the thing is the religious connotation of marriage that has been going on for thousands of years, I still want to preserve that,” Mr. Paul told CNN this month. nytimes

No comments:

Post a Comment