Welcome to the Department of Geology at the University of Cincinnati, a nationally ranked department with high-caliber faculty and a strong research reputation.
Geology is an interdisciplinary science that emphasizes the study of major Earth systems and how they are connected. We teach and conduct research in a variety of areas in the geosciences including:
- Paleontology — Paleobiology, evolutionary paleoecology. Our paleontology program is ranked 6th in the nation!
- Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology — Glacial geology, Quaternary geochronology, fluvial and slope processes, desert geomorphology, tectonic geomorphology.
- Sedimentology and Stratigraphy — Sequence stratigraphy, geology of shales, geochemical records of Earth history.
- Tectonics — Mountain building, volcanism.
- Environmental Geology — Groundwater studies, landslide and seismic hazard mitigation.